Monday, June 13, 2011

Choosing to Chase

The title for this blog site came to me after an unusual outing.  It was one of those evenings when the eastern horizon looked threatening, while the western sky radiated golden sunlight. Conditions seemed just right for a rainbow, but I couldn't see one from my house. I decided to get in my car and drive to higher ground. I needed to gain a broader vista. About five minutes into my journey, I saw a vibrant arch of color in the distance.  My "rainbow chase" was a success!  Travelling home, I realized that if I had stayed within my nearby surroundings, I would have completely missed that marvelous moment.  It's been almost a month since then, yet I find myself still thinking about it.  I recognize that my vision is often so narrow that I fail to see the glory and faithfulness of God. I dwell in a "mental cubicle," defined by personal concerns.  Not that it is wrong to care about those issues, but I can easily allow them to fill me with anxiety and rob me of joy. The Lord calls me to look beyond what is immediate, to see a bigger picture, seeking Him above it all. I love the example of Psalm 121:1-2, 

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." 

God invites me to know His goodness, but I must choose to make it my focus. I want to align my perspective with His, to see the past tunnel vision that limits my view.

1 comment:

  1. Ah hah! I just read this post. Now our conversation makes so much more sense. It's amazing how much more joy I have had these few days when putting this into practice and living as though my job is only part of my life instead of living as if it is the central thing in my life. Love this!

    ReplyDelete