Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Promises on Repeat

When I think about why God created rainbows in the first place--as a visual guarantee that He would never again flood the earth--I'm amazed at His generosity. He could have just spoken the promise, and it would eventually be written in Scripture, but He decided to paint a glorious splash of color in the sky that appears over and over again, generation after generation. And, we often get not only one, but two rainbows at the same time! It seems He knows that we need reminders, lots of them, to keep us focused on His Truth. In Isaiah 41, the Lord says, "Do not fear ... I will help you," three times in three verses (10, 13-14). In Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus devotes ten full verses to "Do not worry." Although I typically find repetition annoying, in the Bible it is deeply reassuring. In times of anxiety, I find verse after verse telling me I can be at peace. If I am feeling down, Scripture provides so many examples and encouragements to give thanks and rejoice, infusing my heart with fresh hope. How about you? What are some of your favorite "promises on repeat"?  I hope you'll share them! **The photo above was taken at the Mike Silva International Evangelism Festival, in the Dominican Republic, just last week. Some 160,000 people heard the Gospel. Hallelujah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment